Thursday, August 5, 2010

Which do you find the most beautiful between Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings and JS Bach's Air On G String?

You are asking to compare a Baroque piece and a modern piece which really are not comparable. Each have their own special and uniques qualities.Which do you find the most beautiful between Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings and JS Bach's Air On G String?
I don't think that I could choose betweem them, as one being ';most beautiful';. They are different types of music.





The Barber is the most mournful and sad piece of music I think that has ever been written: almost so, to the point of being ';depressing';.





On the other hand, the Bach is soulful while at the same time being reassuring and peaceful.





I honestly don't have a preference: that are equally beautiful in my opinion.





AlberichWhich do you find the most beautiful between Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings and JS Bach's Air On G String?
You know, when I was younger I would have said ';Adagio'; for strings. Then I was ruined by the images usually placed with it (usually paired with images of death and pain). Even though I LOVE playing it, I just don't see it in the same light anymore.....So I'm going to say Air on the G String. The simplicity of the bass line paired with the intricate violin and viola parts are breathtaking and even though my part in Adagio is much more INTERESTING, I'd rather listen to the Air.
Personally, I like Barber's Adagio. I have heard many different transcriptions of this, including for organ, clarinet choir (Kalman Opperman Clarinet Choir), flute solo (with Sir James Galway!), and for brass choir (Canadian Brass).
A bad question - sorry!





I need to have both masterpieces available depending on what mood I'm in.





No doubt that the Barber is a very great masterpiece though!






The Bach piece. For want of a better way of putting it, Bach's music is closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment